It must be the lack of sleep (but so worth every minute of it just to watch her sleep). We’ve been craving sugar like crazy. At the beginning of parenthood we were fortunate to have both our parents prepared meals for us and my husband would run to the local grocery store to pick up desserts, cakes & pastries (it’s bad, I know) but I’m breastfeeding and that burns an extra 600cals a day (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it 😛 ) Now that we are not such a newbie with this parenting thing and recently started cooking our own meals again. I figured the lesser of the two evils, when it comes to eating dessert is to make my own chocolate cupcakes instead of spending $30 for a cake that we could polish off in one sitting. Besides I have a much better idea of what to do with 30bucks (buy more diapers, of course).
Turns out that its sooo easy & simple to bake our own desserts and sooo much cheaper to do so.
1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line 12 muffin pan.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine oil and sugar, egg and vanilla and mix well with a spatula.
- Add flour mixture, and mix in milk by hand with spatula until just incorporated.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20mins, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.