I’m so excited to share another “Toddler Approved” recipe with you! Once in a while, I like to give L.B. a little treat to enjoy but preferably something that is not loaded with sugar or additives i.e. (packaged snacks). These sweet potato mini muffins are perfectly sized for little hands and the ingredients used are very simple & healthy.
- 1 tbsp of Butter (soften)
- 2 Farm Fresh Eggs
- 1 cup of Puree Sweet Potatoes
- 1 cup of Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Instructions To Make Puree Sweet Potatoes:
- Peel & cut up a Medium Sweet potatoes
- Toss with 1 tbsp of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of Cinnamon
- Bake for 25-30mins (uncovered)
- Remove and Let it Cool
- Combined Baked Sweet Potatoes with 10-12 tbsp of Organic Milk
- Puree until you get a smooth texture
Instructions for Baking Mini Muffins:
- Preheat for 350 degrees
- Butter 24 cup mini muffin pan
- Using an electric mixer on low, Whip butter for 1min. Add eggs (one at a time) and continue mixing for another minute
- Gently fold in Puree Sweet Potatoes
- In a separate bowl sift flour,baking powder & cinnamon.
- Add dry mixture to the wet ingredients gently combine (DO NOT OVERMIX)
- Bake for 10-13mins
I was hosting a women’s bible study group in my home today, so I didn’t get a chance to take photos of filling the pan but this was the remains of my freshly baked sweet potato mini muffins. So, I’m glad that these sugar-free muffins were adult approved too 😛
*Quick Tip: For a mess-free way of filling the mini pan. Scoop the mixture into an icing bag and pipe the mixture into the muffin wells.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Please feel free to share…
This is an updated version of my original Spinch Egg Muffins recipe. These egg muffins are so easy to make and so healthy that we started making it on a weekly basis. However, one of my nutritional goals for this year is to cut-out processed food in my family’s diet. The original recipe was made with deli meat, which is processed. So, I decided to create an even healthier version by using silicon muffin cases (best invention ever). There is no need to grease these cups and the muffins pops right out making clean up time 10x easier and faster. Hooray !!!
- 12 Whole Eggs
- 1/4 Green Pepper (minced)
- 4-5 Mushrooms (minced)
- 1 Turkey Sausage (cut into small pieces)
- 1/8tsp of Sea Salt
- Optional: 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare vegetables and turkey sausage.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and sea salt together.
- Combine vegetables, sausage and egg mixture together.
- Optional: Add 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Divide between silicon muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-27mins.
Prep: 10mins Cook: 25mins Makes: 15servings
We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But who has time for that? especially when you barely have enough time to shower, pack a million things, get your kid well dressed before rushing out the door in the morning (story of my life). These egg muffins have been a lifesaver because they are so easy to make and reheat. Put them in an air-tight container, store it in the fridge (up to 5-6 days) and pop 1-2 in the microwave for 30secs. I guarantee you’ll never have to miss this important meal again.
I’ve been making this hummus dip for the past 2 weeks and my raw vegetable consumption has increased by 100% (from not ever eating any at all). 😛 So, I want to share this recipe with you and hopefully it will inspire you to eat more raw vegetables too. This has been the best on-the-go snack for me to prepare in advance. It stores very well in the fridge for upto 5-6 days.
- 1 can of Chick Peas
- 2 cloves of Organic Garlic
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 3/4 tsp of Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp of Ground Cumin
- 6-7 tbsp of Water
Step by Step:
Pre-soak the chick peas in warm water for about 5-10mins to loosen up the shells. You can skip this step but I think it’s worth the extra work for a smoother textured hummus.
Remove the shells by gently rubbing the chick peas between your fingers.
Season with Crushed Garlic, Sea Salt, Cumin, Olive Oil & Lemon Juice
Put all the contents into a nutribullet or (magicbullet) and blend it for about 15-30secs
A full week’s worth of snacks all packed up and ready-to-go.
Fun Facts: 1 cup of raw chickpeas has 15 grams of protein & 13 grams of dietary fibre. Making it one of the best snack foods to control hunger cravings and help with weight management.
This blog is moving. All new content will now be at www.elizabethzygmunt.com.
with more new healthy recipes, fitness tips & motivation
Hope to see ya’ll there soon!
My new favourite word; Dexterity: the ability to use your hands skillfully.
Toddlers do not have the dexterity to hold a regular size crayon to draw. We didn’t know this, until L.B. was given her first package of crayons at Swiss Chalet to occupy herself with while we read our menus (how thoughtful). Swiss Chalet is now officially our favourite family restaurant because they’ve also thoughtfully installed a baby changing table in both the women’s washroom AND Men’s washroom. I’m impressed someone from head office is acknowledging that it’s not always the Mommies job to change the diaper, Daddies are fully capable of doing these things too! Back to…Crayon for Toddlers. We want to encourage L.B. to start exploring with art but she is still too young to play with paint without trying to eat it. So, we set out to find bigger crayons that are easier for her to grasp and came across these at Walmart.
In my opinion, paying $6.95 for just 2 crayons is a little too pricey! Don’t ya think?
A couple of weeks ago, I saw her playing with these at our local community centre. So, I asked the girl working at the centre where I could buy it? and she told me that I could make it at home! Cool…
Crayons for Toddlers
- Here’s What You Need:
- 4 packs of crayons ($1 per pack at Walmart)
- Silicon muffin cups
- Baking sheet with aluminum lining
- Unwrap the paper covering the crayons
- Use your hands to break the crayons into silicon muffin cups
- Put it in the oven at 230 degrees for 10-15 mins
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the melted crayons set overnight
- Now your toddler is ready to create her first masterpiece! FYI (make sure you buy the “washable” ones) 😛
Personally, I wouldn’t use these silicon muffin cups again to bake food but I’ll be saving them for other crafty uses or make these fantastic crayons again for an awesome birthday gift.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Please feel free to share…
- Single-Arm Dumbell Row 11/20lbs 11/25lbs 11/30lbs *getting stronger*
- Tricep Dips 11reps 11reps 15reps 15reps
- Wide Grip Pullup 7reps 7reps 3reps *try to focus on form next time*
- Tricep Pushup 11reps 15reps 15reps *hold reps next time for more challenge*
- Bench V-Up with Ball 11/10lbs 11/10lbs 15/10lbs
- Close-Grip Bench Press 15/40lbs 11/40lbs 15/40lbs
- Bentover Dumbell Fly 11/10lbs 11/10lbs 11/10lbs 11/10lbs
- Standing Tricep Extension 11/10lbs 11/10lbs 11/10lbs
- Alternating Bicep DB Curls 11/15lbs 11/15lbs *try 20lbs next time*
- Hammer Curls 11/15lbs 11/15lbs
- Squat & Cross Body Swing 11/15lbs 11/15lbs
My workout was kinda BLAH today 😦
Strange considering L.B. slept through the night (well til 5:45am anyways) and to me anything more than 5hrs of sleep is a good night’s rest 🙂
I do have a lot on my mind lately with planning for my mother-in-law’s birthday party, social events and trying to stay focus on my goals for this year. Perhaps my body is well rested but my mind is not 😛 I dunno ??? but it doesn’t matter. I got my workout done and out-of-the-way and now I can just carry on with my day 🙂
Sneak Preview: Today, I took a selfie to start a visual way of tracking my progress…
Full Disclosure: My tummy is only flatter in the morning, probably because my body has been dehydrated through the night and these workout pants are very flattering on the post-baby belly. However, my consistent healthier eating habits and daily exercise is the main contributing factor for getting a leaner physique.
- Deadlifts 11/50lbs 11/50lbs 11/50lbs
- Side DB Squats 11/15lbs 11/15lbs 11/15lbs
- EZ Barbell DEEP Squats 15reps 15reps 15reps
- Plank Hop Tuck 5reps 5reps 4reps
- Plank 30sec 60sec (so hard)! 70sec (f**k this hurts) !!!
- Bridge Pump 11reps 15reps 16reps
- Weighted Bridge Hold 60secs/5lbs 60secs/10lbs 75secs/10lbs
- Weighted V-Ups 15reps 15reps 15reps
- Sumo Squats 11/25lbs 15/25lbs 15/25lbs
- Broomstick Twist 50/15lbs 50/15lbs 50/15lbs
- Deadlift with DB 15/20lbs 15/20lbs 15/20lbs
Workout today was just okay, wished I had more sleep but L.B. seems stuck with a bad habit of waking up at 2am and then every 2hrs after that. 😦
I’m really happy with my nutrition though, I think this is the first time in my life that I’m eating all the right foods. I’m glad that L.B. is learning to eat like us and seems to enjoy it too. Last night, she had grilled pork tenderloin, sweet potatoes, raw vegetables and humus. 🙂
- Bench Press 15/55lbs 15/55lbs 15/55lbs
- Weighted V-Ups 15reps 15reps
- Standing Arnold Press 11/10lbs 11/10lbs 11/10lbs (seated) 11/20lbs (seated)
- Alternate Bicep Curls 11/15lbs 11/20lbs 11/20lbs
- Standing Pectoral Fly 11/8lbs 11/10lbs 11/10lbs
- Dumbell Front Raises 11/8lbs 11/10lbs 11/10lbs
- Hammer Curls 11/8lbs 11/10lbs 11/10lbs *10lbs seems too light*
- Push Ups 11reps 15reps 15reps
- EZ Bar Upright Row 11/40lbs 15/40lbs 15/40lbs
Last Week’s Body Composition:
Weight – 142.8lbs
Body Fat – 29.5%
Water Level – 46%
This Week’s Body Composition:
Weight – 143lbs
Body Fat – 27.5% (WooHoo) !
Water Level – 46.5%
POST WOROUT NOTES:
Today’s workout was not too bad, considered that I slept for less than 5hrs last night. I’m not sure why L.B. has decided to stop sleeping through the night. Oh well, what can I do? maybe she takes on after me and just don’t need a lot of sleep to function properly 😛 but my poor hubby. I feel so sorry for him 😦 So, I decided last week that I would start checking my body composition again because sometimes its hard to tell if your body has made any changes when you see yourself every single day 😛 I learned a long time ago that a simple scale does not tell the truth. The number on a simple scale does not take into account the amount of lean tissue, body fat and hydration level we have in our body. So, if you want the most accurate measure of your progress, check it on a digital scale that measures body fat and hydration level as well. As you can see my weight went up from 142.8lbs to 143lbs (the old me would completely freak out) but now that I know better…my body fat has gone down 2% (this is the number to focus on). This means that I’ve put on more lean muscle mass (muscle weighs more than fat) and because more muscle = more fat burning while I sleep, I’m getting closer to reaching my goal of being at 130lbs with 15% body fat.
EZ Barbell Curl 11/40 11/40 11/40
Decline Crunches 11reps 11reps 11reps
EZ Barbell Deep Squats 15/40 15/40 15/40
Close Tricep Pushups 11reps 11reps 11reps
Alternating Bicep Curls 11/15 11/20 11/20
Dumbbell Front Raises 15/5 10/8 10/8
Laterial Dumbbell Raise 11/5 11/8 15/8 15/8
EZ Barbell Wide Grip Press 11/40 15/40 15/40
Freestyle Fridays is what I like to call today. No pre-written program, I just do whatever exercise I feel like doing. I’m starting to think that I should do this more often because it seems like I get the best workouts this way. I like having my full 60mins workouts but I also find that when I’m pressed for time (like today) I work harder because I don’t have much time. This is something to consider changing up in the future, shorter but more intense workouts.
Duration: 60 mins
Single-Arm Dumbbell Row 11/15 11/20 11/25 11/25 *strength has greatly increased* 🙂
Tricep Dips 7reps 7reps 8reps 9reps
Wide Grip Pullup 7reps 7reps 7reps 7.5reps *just can’t get pass the 7reps* 😦
Tricep Pushup 11reps 15reps 11reps 11reps
Bench V-Up with Ball 11/10 11/10 15/10 11/10
Close-Grip Bench Press 15reps 15reps 15reps 15reps
Bentover Dumbbell Fly 11/10 11/10 11/10 11/10
Standing Tricep Extension 11/10 11/10 11/10 11/10
Cross-Body Punches 33/3 33/5 33/5
Lying Tricep Ext 15/5 15/5 15/5
My workout was pretty good today. Yesterday was a rest day and even though I did not workout, I still tried to stick to my healthy eating. For Example: My husband suggested that we could do our usual Wednesday night special, which is to order an X-Large Pizza for 7.99 at Metro (we used to do this every week) but since we already have healthy meals sitting in the fridge. I opt-out and he thought that my choice was healthier and cheaper for us too. 😛 So we ate our rosemary chicken breast and carrot squash soup for dinner. 🙂 During my workout today, I was slightly distracted with thoughts of a dear friend. She was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, this came as a shock to everyone because she is so young and very slim. I guess it’s just a myth to think that this condition only effects older people who are overweight. I thought about her condition and how much it reminds us to keep eating healthy & make fitness a priority in our lives. I know there are no guarantees but its the best we can do to take preventive measures for our health. I’m really sad about her condition but I will keep praying for her to trust in God’s plan for her.